Charles River Investment Management Solution
The Qualified Domestic Institutional Investor (QDII) scheme, established in 2006, allows approved Chinese banks, fund houses, security institutions and insurance companies to invest into international assets on behalf of their clients. Initially limited to fixed income and money market products, the scheme has since been expanded to include equity funds. The QDII program has presented Chinese asset managers with the opportunity to re-evaluate their front- and middle-office processes, with a focus on automating and streamlining their investment management operations across their newly expanded opportunity set. Traditionally, these operations have been handled via spreadsheets, or single-market, single-currency local Chinese systems. QDII managers are now looking to experienced international technology providers, such as Charles River Development, to advance their investment operations in line with industry best practices for both cross border and domestic Chinese investment operations.
Charles River Development is an award-winning provider of innovative technology systems and services to 315+ investment firms in the global institutional, mutual fund, banking, hedge fund, wealth management, insurance and pension industries in more than 30 countries.
The Charles River Investment Management System (Charles River IMS) is a comprehensive front- and middle-office software suite for all asset classes. The system incorporates global real-time electronic trading via FIX through the Charles River Network, a broker-neutral financial network that is fully integrated with Charles River IMS. The company also offers implementation, application management services and hosting.
Charles River Products – Tailored to the Chinese Market
- Charles River Manager – Charles River Manager offers comprehensive tools, data, and connectivity for global portfolio management and strategy analysis.
- Charles River Compliance – Charles River Compliance provides global, real-time, pretrade, post-execution and end-of-day compliance monitoring for all asset classes, powerful data administration, and serves as a central repository for compliance rules, alerts and resolution tracking
- Charles River Trader – Charles River Trader provides investment managers with comprehensive order management and electronic trading functionality for all asset classes. Incorporates FIX-based electronic trading via the broker-neutral Charles River Network, supporting IOIs, trade placement, executions, and allocations. Offers real-time pricing, broker management, program/list/algorithmic trading. Connects to brokers, DMAs, ECNs, ATSs, crossing networks, settlement venues.
- Charles River Post-Trade—Charles River Post-Trade is an electronic post-trade processing hub for investment managers that centralizes trade matching, confirmation, and settlement workflow across all asset classes domiciles, and protocols. The system streamlines trade routing to confirmation / affirmation venues by providing standardized, automated, and consolidated access. Allows for user-defined routing rules.
- Charles River Performance—Charles River Performance, the performance measurement, attribution and risk module of the Charles River IMS, extends the portfolio management lifecycle. Users can directly store, mine, calculate, analyse and report on multi-asset and multi-currency performance and attribution data on a single platform.
- Charles River Anywhere—Charles River Anywhere extends the reach of the Charles River IMS, giving users the choice of how, where and when to monitor and manage real-time portfolio, trade, compliance and post-trade information securely via any web-enabled device.
Charles River Services
Managed Services—Charles River provides complete administration and management of Charles River Investment Management System (IMS) software through comprehensive and flexible managed servicesofferings. Managed Services is your on-call Charles River IMS application support and operations team, providing cost-effective resources based on a client’s changing business and IT requirements. Managed services allow investment managers to leverage Charles River’s best practices and technical expertise, while realizing the benefits of increased efficiencies, reduced operating costs, streamlined workflow and improved risk management, on an outsourced basis.
Professional Services—Charles River offers clients a comprehensive support services network to meet standard, unique and evolving needs. Over the course of each client partnership, Charles River can assist with initial system implementation, detailed business workflow analysis, education and training, or specialized one-time project assistance, such as upgrade management or the building of new compliance rules. Every project is staffed with product-certified experts.
To best serve the Chinese market, Charles River provides regionally based bilingual Mandarin/English implementation and technical support services, as well as additional bilingual professionals based across our offices worldwide.
Advantages of the Charles River Investment Management System
- Comprehensive order management system and execution management system capabilities, including algorithmic trading, pre- and post-trade transaction cost analysis (TCA), direct market access (DMA), automated order routing, access to real-time pricing and security fundamentals, market depth and program trading.
- Connectivity via FIX allows easy access to third party liquidity pools, electronic communication networks (ECNs), alternative trading systems (ACSs), execution venues and exchanges for both QDII managers as well as licensed foreign investors.
- Full commitment to the adoption of the STEP Protocol as a key strategic initiative for our domestic Chinese client partnerships.*
- Supports all security types including global equities, fixed income, money market securities, foreign exchange and complex derivatives including swaps.
- Integrated asset allocation capabilities for category or security level modelling, currency or derivatives overlay, as well as strategic and tactical asset allocation capabilities.
- Decision support with full multi-currency capabilities across all asset classes and markets.
- Enables cash management and forecasting, exposure measurement, integrated analytics, and Web reporting.
- Provides scenario, pre-trade, in-trade, post-execution, and end-of-day compliance monitoring.
- Industry-endorsed, tested global 1,700+ rule library across 35 regulatory bodies and more than twenty countries.
*As an active member of the Asia Pacific regional FIX Protocol Limited (FPL) committees Charles River is involved in the ongoing development of the FIX Protocol and its usage within the Asia Pacific Markets. A key FPL initiative for the Chinese domestic market is the STEP variant to provide support for direct connectivity to the Next Generation Trading System (NGTS) currently under implementation across the local Chinese exchanges.